Although LASIK is one of the most advanced vision correction procedures available today, LASIK is still a surgical procedure. As such, all potential patients must undergo extensive pre-operative evaluation in either our Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn office to determine if LASIK is an appropriate option. Furthermore, potential candidates must understand the benefits and risks of the procedure and have realistic expectations about the potential outcome.
If Dr. Harry Koster or one of our other refractive surgeon determines that LASIK is not the procedure that best suits your needs, other procedures such as PRK, Refractive Lens Exchange, or phakic implant surgery,may be more appropriate for you. We can discuss each of these options with you and give you a fair estimate of the results you could achieve with them. You can begin the process of determining if you are a candidate by taking our Self Evaluation Test.
The Best Candidates for LASIK are:
- 18 years of age or older;
- have stable prescription for the last year or two;
- have healthy eyes;
- have a sufficiently thick cornea, with normal curve and tear film ;
- have realistic expectations about the surgery’s outcomes and are willing to accept the potential risks, complications and side effects of the procedure;
- if wearing contact lens, discontinue use several days prior to the examination, (time depending on the type of contact lenses.)
Click here to take the self-evaluation test.
For more information please do not hesitate to contact our surgical coordinator at 212.243.2300.